Sunday, March 16, 2014

Introduction

Greetings!

This blog has been created as a way for me to discuss current issues revolving around Christian cultural trends. Just so you know my background, I was born and raised Roman Catholic through the age of 15. It was at that time that my family joined a non-denominational Christian church. While I have been out of institutional church for almost five years, I still consider myself a believer in Christ.

I have a B.A. in Urban Ministry from Pacific Christian College (now Hope International University) and a M.S.W. from California State Long Beach. 

I am a wife of over 20 years and a mother to two wonderful kids. I homeschooled them for 10 years and they are currently in public school. While they are now both in school full-time, I am (slowly) working toward getting a career back in the social work field. My goal is to work with children and families revolving around child abuse or those in the foster system.

My blog is titled "moving beyond absolutes" because as I am now in my mid-40's, I have decided that I am no longer comfortable with absolutes. Especially when absolutes center upon God and Jesus. I have heard too many absolutes from current preachers, homeschool leaders and fellow Christians. I firmly believe that God is bigger than absolutes and he most likely doesn't care about micro-managing our lives. I believe that God created us in His image, and that means that he gave us a brain to use and a will power to make our lives the best for him.

While I have a personal blog to stay in touch with family and friends, I decided to create a separate blog in order to write about church and religious issues. Even though I have become way more comfortable in my middle-aged skin and mind, I still know that I have family who believe very differently from me and they might be offended by what I write on my personal blog. This is just a matter of respect for me.

I hope that this blog will become another place for discussion regarding some of the trends in current Christianity (mainly in America, although I'm open to what is happening around the world). There is a lot I still have yet to learn!

Grace + Peace -

Kathi

No comments:

Post a Comment